Jump to Content

Residential Care


It can be difficult to know where to start when you’re considering a move into a rest home, hospital or dementia care home (also known as ‘Aged Residential Care’ facilities).

This part of the site provides information on all aspects of the process and lists all the providers of this type of care in New Zealand. Most providers display a wide range of information for you to consider.

In many regions we provide a list of vacancies, so, if your need is urgent you can see where the current options are. This report can also be accessed from the Eldernet home page.

Access to Aged Residential Care is by way of a formal assessment which is provided by specialised assessment teams which can be contacted via NASC/Care Coordination. 

There is no such thing as ‘the best rest home’ as what suits one person is not going to suit another. Download our checklist (below) and use our advanced search function (which you can access after you have made a selection from the map opposite) to locate homes that offer features that are important to you.  We think it’s important to shortlist a number of homes and if possible visit at least three, before making a choice that suits you. 


Step 1 - What are you interested in?

Select one of the categories below:

Step 2 - Select Region

Click on the map, or select your DHB from the list below:

Map of New Zealand


Eldernet Gazette

Elderly should be afforded same rights and privileges as the young

Why are the elderly not afforded the same rights and privileges as the young? Recently, I got talking to a friend about the suite of services offered by Birthcare, the popular birthing centre in Parnell, Auckland where she has given birth to two of her children. While the same level of healthcare is...

Read the Article


The process of entry to a rest home or hospital

Entry to residential care is managed by a process known as Needs Assessment. 1) To begin this process you either need to talk to your doctor about the issues that are leading you to take this step or you can contact the agency responsible for managing assessments (known as NASC or Care Coordination...

Read the Article