Jump to Content

What is the Maximum Contribution?

Everyone in a certified and contracted care home is required to pay for their accommodation and services. If you have little to no assets the government uses your NZ Super to pay for your care. If you have assets and/or income over the required thresholds, you are required to contribute/pay privately (according to a formula).

To ensure that this is fair, the government has set a price limit on what a care home can change you for ‘standard’ services, such as those received by someone receiving a RCS. This amount is referred to as a Maximum Contribution (MC).

The MC covers only services as outlined in the Age Related Residential Care Agreement (ARRC). If you want anything more than this, you will have to pay more for it.

The amount of the Maximum Contribution  which is Gazetted, changes each year. It varies according to where you live and is determined each year during funding negotiations between health funders (Te Whatu Ora) and care providers.

Find: Residential care facilities & VACANCIES

Eldernet is NZ's only daily (Mon-Fri) updated directory of rest home, dementia, hospital and psychogeriatric care facilities.

Updated: 11 Jun 2024
Was this resource helpful?