Jump to Content
Knowledge Lab logo

Can I get financial help to insulate my home?

The Warmer Kiwi Homes programme offers insulation and heater grants to low-income homeowners. Homeowners who hold a Community Services Card and those who live in areas that are identified as low income (you can check if you live in an eligible area on the Energy Efficiency & Conservation Authority website). You must also own and live in a home built before 2008.

If you are eligible, you may be able to receive a grant for insulation, a heater, or both.

Grants cover:

  • 80% of the total cost of ceiling and underfloor insulation. In some areas the cost to you may be even lower, thanks to generous funding from community organisations.
  • 80% of the cost of an approved heater. This could be a heat pump or an efficient wood/pellet burner for the main living area. Heater grants are capped at $3000 including GST.

If you are renting a home, you are not eligible for a Warmer Kiwi Homes grant yourself. However, your landlord is legally required to ensure the home you live in complies with the Healthy Homes Guarantee Act.

If you are not eligible for a grant, there may be other financial support available, including adding the cost of home insulation or heating to your mortgage. There are organisations around the country that can help provide independent advice, such as Brightr and Community Energy Action Charitable Trust.

Updated: 2 Feb 2024
Was this resource helpful?