- at Lees Centre, Selwyn Oaks
Selwyn Oaks offers respite care for people over the age of 65 in the contemporary Lees Centre. If you are recovering from ill health, an operation or when family or a carer go on holiday, you may wish to take a break at Selwyn Oaks, to ensure you get the care you deserve. Respite Care is subject to availability.
You may prefer to pay privately or talk with your local needs assessor to see what financial support you may be eligible for.
• You will have a private room with your own ensuite and smart TV
• Your furnished room will be heated
• You will be in a household of up to 11 other people over the age of 65
• Each household has a lounge and fireplace, dining room, a domestic open plan kitchen and laundry for your use, and a den for whanau to stay as appropriate
• All your meals will be prepared onsite with a qualified dietitian overseeing the menu. Special diets are catered for
• Care partners and a registered nurse are onsite 24/7
• The village chaplain is available to visit and confide in
• Friends and family can visit any time
• You will have access to a variety of activities and access to village amenities including; resident's lounge, chapel, multipurpose room for exercises, movies, performances, celebrations, crafts/activities room, cafe and dining, professional kitchen to support the cafe and dining areas, shop (dairy/mini-mart), hair salon
THE SELWYN FOUNDATION – AN OVERVIEW and OUR MISSION
The Selwyn Foundation has been around for a very long time.
The Selwyn Foundation is an independent, faith-based New Zealand charitable trust providing services to older people and their families. We have been leading the way in improving the quality of life of our elders for over sixty years. As pioneers of the retirement village model and of rest home care in this country, we are uniquely experienced in providing residential care, independent retirement living and community outreach services for older adults.
With the dramatic rise of New Zealand's ageing population, the work of The Selwyn Foundation is more important than ever. Building on our achievements to date — and in keeping with our original Mission to provide quality care for elders — we will continue to innovate, diversify and offer a continuum of flexible care options that meet the present and future needs of ageing people and their families.
In keeping with our mission:
To deliver quality services that are responsive to the ageing person and their family, ensuring that our charitable outreach supports those who are vulnerable or in need.
Our activities are grouped in four key areas:
Enhancing the lives of elders who are vulnerable or in need.
To support our mission we reappraised our definition of 'vulnerability' and developed new, practical ideas on how our charitable mission could affect the quality of life of older people. We identified three particular areas where our help can make a substantial difference to those in need:
• Social isolation/loneliness
• Affordable housing
• Hardship support
These priorities are funded through surpluses derived from the various Selwyn villages, community services and educational functions, and through fundraising, donations, bequests, and sponsorship initiatives and in the future surpluses from commercial partnerships. We have recently partnered with Auckland Council to further build on our social housing goals in addition to our 57 rentals.
Investing in research and education to deliver quality care.
The Selwyn Institute takes a holistic approach to the wellbeing of older people and helps inform our charitable and business functions through knowledge-sharing, research, trials, innovations, and technology development.
The Selwyn Foundation is committed to opening up growth and skill opportunities that help our staff, their families and our residents.
Providing care and support to elders in their community.
Recognising that village life is not for everyone, The Selwyn Foundation is expanding its care and services to those who choose to remain living in their communities. Helping older people to remain connected through our Selwyn Centres, providing cost effective transport, health and fitness programmes, and providing products and services that they both need and want. All of this delivered through The Selwyn Way – our approach to care.
Creating thriving communities to age well.
We continue to build thriving communities, mindful of the potential need for continuum of care. With the development of The Selwyn Way, our approach to care, so too we have developed purpose-built residential care housing that allows us to provide residents with a more homely environment where they can find meaning and self-fulfilment.
The Selwyn Foundation
PO Box 8203, Symonds Street, Auckland 1150.
Telephone (09) 846 0119.
Fax (09) 846 0700.