Tap to view all photos 1/6
From every angle, choosing independent retirement living at Selwyn Village makes perfect sense. You forgo the worries of security and home maintenance, so you have more time to enjoy life. There’s the unique natural setting of the village, the wealth of amenities and the new friends to share them with. Add to these the peace of mind knowing there’s on-site residential care, should the need eventuate, and the knowledge you’ll always have the enduring Christian commitment of The Selwyn Foundation behind you.
Selwyn Village is a 26 acre retirement jewel sitting on Auckland’s sparkling Waitemata Harbour. Located in desirable Point Chevalier, Selwyn Village provides a fantastic lifestyle in a historic setting. A palm-lined avenue, park-like grounds, well-tended flowerbeds and pretty shrubs complement the garden environment, and coastal walks lead to a sheltered swimming beach.
Close to the central city, but away from busy roads, the village offers maximum sun and privacy with magnificent harbour views.
LIVE LIFE AT YOUR OWN PACE
With many of your everyday tasks such as gardening and exterior maintenance taken care of, you’ll have time to indulge in an active, relaxed lifestyle and to make the most of the wide range of leisure facilities close at hand. You may wish to join in the activities on site and play a full part in village life, socialising in a friendly community of likeminded people. There will be plenty to keep you busy, with outings and entertainment also arranged for your enjoyment.
Or you can relax and take things easy, living privately and independently in your own home – secure in the knowledge that everything’s available on your doorstep, as and when you require. Of course, your family and friends will always be welcome to visit.
At Selwyn Village, you have the choice of an active lifestyle or a quiet life, companionship or privacy, with everything provided for you within a safe, secure and supportive environment.
Selwyn Village offers residents an extensive range of first-class leisure facilities, including:
• large, multi-function recreation room with indoor bowls, snooker, pool and table tennis
• gymnasium, lap pool and spa
• outdoor petanque court
• bar and lounge for socialising and enjoying drinks with neighbours and friends
• function room with bar for private entertainment
• cinema for viewing movies, Sky TV available in the
• Community Centre
• Café on Lichfield open for lunch and dinner
• private library and lounge area complete with computers and free Internet access
• craft room and art studio for creative and artistic pursuits
• Blokes’ shed for those wishing to pursue hobbies
• gift shop, mini market, opportunity shop, Westpac bank and hair salon
• the Chapel of Christ the King with regular worship services
• public bus service running through the village, connecting to central and eastern Auckland
• on request buggy-service, for residents who require transport around the village
• vegetable garden plots.
• physiotherapy centre
• medical centre (a doctor is onsite during business hours)
• health status monitoring
• access to rest home, hospital and secure dementia care (subject to availability)
• services of visiting wellness specialists such as dentists, podiatrists, audiologists, beauty therapists, an acupuncturist and more.
APARTMENTS AND VILLAS
At Selwyn Village, every independent living apartment and villa complex has been designed to create a welcoming neighbourhood and a friendly community.
Built to last, our contemporary independent living apartments and villas are stylish, practical and spacious, focusing on an individual’s privacy, while still being integrated with the community. Each complex includes recreational areas and mature landscaped gardens – each with unique views and settings.
With a number of apartment buildings to choose from, the neighbourhoods are developed with ease of access in mind. Pedestrian pathways are wide and accessible with plenty of rest areas to relax and take in the sun and fresh air.
For those looking for a different way of life, consider our independent living villas – each with carport or garages, either separate or as duplexes and with a courtyard or garden. Whether you choose apartment or villa living, you can be certain your new home will be secure.
Our spacious apartments are completely self-contained, and most offer the following as standard:
• generous, open-plan living with deck/balcony (approx 8 sqm)*
• modern fitted kitchen including fridge, dishwasher, and waste disposal unit*
• compact laundry including a washing machine, dryer and tub*
• bathroom with frameless glass shower (including safety rail) and heated towel rail*
• heat pump with remote control*
• Intercom* and multiple telephone/Internet outlets
• 24 hour monitored emergency call system*
• full sprinkler system with smoke detectors.
• Other features include:
• secure basement carparking, with storage lockers, for those who retain a carpark*
• electrical recharging facilities for mobility scooters
• access to apartment levels controlled by electronic security swipe card and internal lift access.
Our independent villas are always popular, and it’s not hard to see why:
• spacious one and two bedroom villas with a courtyard or garden
• generous, open-plan kitchen and living areas with separate laundry
• carport or garage with electrical recharging facilities for mobility scooters (in garage)
• all have 24 hour monitored emergency call systems
• access to extensive community facilities an easy few minutes’ walk away, plus a full and varied activities programme for residents to enjoy.
THE SELWYN FOUNDATION – AN OVERVIEW and OUR MISSION
The Selwyn Foundation has been around for a very long time.
The Selwyn Foundation is an independent, faith-based New Zealand charitable trust providing services to older people and their families. We have been leading the way in improving the quality of life of our elders for over sixty years. As pioneers of the retirement village model and of rest home care in this country, we are uniquely experienced in providing residential care, independent retirement living and community outreach services for older adults.
With the dramatic rise of New Zealand's ageing population, the work of The Selwyn Foundation is more important than ever. Building on our achievements to date — and in keeping with our original Mission to provide quality care for elders — we will continue to innovate, diversify and offer a continuum of flexible care options that meet the present and future needs of ageing people and their families.
In keeping with our mission:
To deliver quality services that are responsive to the ageing person and their family, ensuring that our charitable outreach supports those who are vulnerable or in need.
Our activities are grouped in four key areas:
Enhancing the lives of elders who are vulnerable or in need.
To support our mission we reappraised our definition of 'vulnerability' and developed new, practical ideas on how our charitable mission could affect the quality of life of older people. We identified three particular areas where our help can make a substantial difference to those in need:
• Social isolation/loneliness
• Affordable housing
• Hardship support
These priorities are funded through surpluses derived from the various Selwyn villages, community services and educational functions, and through fundraising, donations, bequests, and sponsorship initiatives and in the future surpluses from commercial partnerships. We have recently partnered with Auckland Council to further build on our social housing goals in addition to our 57 rentals.
Investing in research and education to deliver quality care.
The Selwyn Institute takes a holistic approach to the wellbeing of older people and helps inform our charitable and business functions through knowledge-sharing, research, trials, innovations, and technology development.
The Selwyn Foundation is committed to opening up growth and skill opportunities that help our staff, their families and our residents.
Providing care and support to elders in their community.
Recognising that village life is not for everyone, The Selwyn Foundation is expanding its care and services to those who choose to remain living in their communities. Helping older people to remain connected through our Selwyn Centres, providing cost effective transport, health and fitness programmes, and providing products and services that they both need and want. All of this delivered through The Selwyn Way – our approach to care.
Creating thriving communities to age well.
We continue to build thriving communities, mindful of the potential need for continuum of care. With the development of The Selwyn Way, our approach to care, so too we have developed purpose-built residential care housing that allows us to provide residents with a more homely environment where they can find meaning and self-fulfilment.
The Selwyn Foundation
PO Box 8203, Symonds Street, Auckland 1150.
Telephone (09) 846 0119.
Fax (09) 846 0700.