Consumer Safety - General purchasing advice
- Know your rights regarding the Consumer Guarantees Act and Fair Trading Act.
- The Consumer Guarantees Act gives you rights when making purchases including: door to door sales, buying online and unsolicited goods.
- The Fair Trading Act prohibits misleading and deceptive conduct, false representation and unfair practices. It covers advertising and selling of goods and services. It does not cover private sales.
- For more information contact Citizens Advice Bureau
- Compare similar products or services and obtain comparative quotes.
- Do not allow yourself to be ‘talked into’ purchasing unwanted or unnecessary services or products.
- As a consumer you do have ‘a choice’. Your custom is valuable and you can take it elsewhere if you are not satisfied.
Note: To access Consumer articles online you may have to join up. There is a free membership option.
Go back to Products and Services section
Download a full & printable version of the checklist