The rates 2021 – 2022 rebate programme is open

The 2021 – 2022 annual rates rebate programme is now underway. Once you receive your rates bill, you can apply for a rebate if you:

  • the person who pays the rates on the property that’s your home
  • living in your home
  • listed as the ratepayer in the council’s Rating Information Database (RID). This database has all the information about rates and ratepayers for every property in your council’s area.

You cannot apply if:

  • your property is mainly used for commercial activities, for example farming or business
  • your property is a rental property or holiday home.

Since 2018, most retirement village residents are also eligible for a rates rebate, including those who live under a licence to occupy agreement.  

You may also be eligible if your name is not on the rates bill, for example if you live in an owner-occupier flat, such as a company share flat or apartment. 

How do I apply?

1) Complete the application form

Rates rebate application form (PDF 372KB)

If you live in a retirement village

Your village manager must sign a declaration form.

Retirement village residents — Declaration form (PDF 61KB)

If you live in a company-share apartment

The person who is responsible for paying rates for the whole property must sign a declaration form.

Company-share apartment residents — Declaration form (PDF 39KB)

If you’d prefer paper forms, you request these from your council.

2) Get proof of income

You will need to show the council proof of income. Income includes all benefits and allowances, including the NZ

Proof of income from Inland Revenue

You can get a Personal Tax Summary by logging into Inland Revenue . Or you can call Inland Revenue on 0800 227 774 (NZ only).

Proof of income from Work and Income

You can ask your case manager to give you a letter showing your income.

If you’re self-employed

You’ll need to provide a copy of your complete set of financial accounts, IR3B or IR10.

3) Sign the verification declaration on the form

You need to confirm on the form that the information you’ve provided is true. You do this by signing the verification declaration.

4) Give the application to your council

Post or drop off your application form to your council. Your application is due by 30 June each year.

5) What happens next

If you’re successful, your council deducts the amount of your rebate from your rates bill. If you’ve already paid your rates in full, they’ll give you a refund.

How much am I entitled to?

To see how much you may get as a refund, use the rates rebate calculator – you could get as much as $665 off your rates bill.

For more information about rates rebates, see the New Zealand Government website.

Photo credit: Thomas Coker on Unsplash

About Mason Head

Mason Head
Content Creator and Publication Lead at Eldernet

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *