This month on the Gazette, we’re exploring all things health and wellbeing. To kick off week two, we’re exploring the benefits of protein – with a fabulous fish pie recipe to boot – courtesy off Wendy Scanlon from Senior Chef.
Did you know that compared with younger people, older people need 25% more protein? Include some protein at all meals and snacks.
If you find you are eating less and have lost weight, it is doubly important to have some protein-foods with every snack and meal. Little and often is the key.
Here are 10 ways to boost protein:
- Cheese, hummus, or peanut butter on crackers.
- Baked beans or eggs on toast.
- Smoothies made with milk and yoghurt.
- Hot drinks made with milk.
- Lentils, chickpeas, or kidney beans added to soups, salads, and casseroles.
- Yoghurt as a dessert or snack.
- Nuts or seeds on cereals, salads, or stir-fries.
- A tablespoon of milk powder added to your porridge, mashed potatoes, or hot milk drink.
- A dollop of hummus stirred through mashed potato or kumara.
- Make an old-fashioned Fish Pie for dinner. This recipe is so easy, using a packet sauce and canned fish.
To make it easier, plan to have a meal the day before with mashed potato, then you can save some for your fish pie.
|1 Serve||2 Serves|
|Potato, scrubbed and chopped into chunks||1 large||2 large|
|Milk||1 – 2 tablespoons||2 – 4 tablespoons|
|Butter or margarine||1 teaspoon||2 teaspoons|
|Salt and pepper||To taste||To taste|
Boil potato until soft, around 15 – 20 minutes, then mash with milk and butter/margarine. Add salt and pepper to taste.
|1 Serve||2 Serves|
|Cheese sauce, packet||½ packet||1 packet|
|Milk||¼ cup||½ cup|
|Water||¼ cup||½ cup|
|Canned fish, drained and flaked||1 x 95g can||1 x 185g can|
|Frozen peas or frozen mixed vegetables||¼ cup||½ cup|
|Oil spray to grease the dish|
|Hard-boiled egg, sliced||1||2|
|Cheese, grated||2 tablespoons||¼ cup|
- Preheat oven to 180°.
- Combine cheese sauce mix with milk and cold water in saucepan. Mix well. Bring to the boil while stirring, then turn down the heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until thickened.
- Stir in fish and frozen peas. Then gently fold through the hardboiled egg slices. Spoon into a lightly oiled small ovenproof dish.
- Top with mashed potato and sprinkle with grated cheese.
- Bake for around 20 minutes or until bubbling.
Serve with vegetables or a green salad.
Tip: use a tasty cheese sauce mix and canned smoked fish for extra flavour.