Home / Retirement Living / Ageing in place / Getting Help for Home Maintenance

Getting Help for Home Maintenance

The home is where the family comes together to experience security, shelter and safety. Because we spend more than 50 percent of our lives indoors, it is important to make sure we have a healthy home in which to live. Keeping your house well maintained is imperative not only for the health of your home, but for your health as well.

Small issues can quickly turn into big ones so it is best, not only for your house but for your wallet, to address them as soon as they come up. For example, a tiny leak in your roof may seem like it could not do too much damage, however if enough water gets inside it could cause mold and rot down walls or on the ceiling.  Mold can worsen asthma symptoms, allergies or other respiratory conditions and repairing a small leak is definitely cheaper than replacing a whole ceiling.

Jobs like these require a certain level of mobility, however as we age we may lose the ability to perform these tasks. Luckily there are a variety of providers who can help with that “odd” job around the house. A few are listed here on Eldernet.

The government can sometimes help you with home maintenance or gardening. The government provides help with some household tasks, repairs and maintenance if you:

  • have ongoing or age-related health problems
  • live with a disability
  • have an injury or disability as the result of an accident.

Help you can get

You can get help with regular jobs, eg:

  • maintaining your garden
  • mowing your lawn
  • cleaning windows
  • housework, eg doing laundry or cleaning your bathroom.

You can also get help to:

  • buy essential furniture or appliances
  • repair and maintain some things around your property.

Help with house repairs or maintenance

If you’re on a benefit or NZ pension, ask for an advance to help with essential repairs to your home. You have to pay back the money to Work and Income. As a guide, the most you can apply for is $1,000, but it can be more or less depending on your situation.

Help with regular household tasks

You can get regular help with your housework if:

You can also apply for a Disability Allowance to pay for:

  • getting your gardening and lawns done
  • cleaning the outside of your windows.

When you visit your doctor to talk about applying for your Disability Allowance, tell them that you would like help with gardening or cleaning your windows.

If you are over 65 your SuperGold Card gives you discounts for some businesses that can help you with work around your house and in the garden – SuperGold: home and garden 

There are some other ways you can get help with home maintenance or gardening.

  • You can pay for services yourself.
  • Some charities or foundations offer services to people needing help with home maintenance. Your Citizens Advice Bureau can help.

About Eve Williams

Eve Williams is the Content Developer and Social Media Administration for Eldernet. She is currently studying towards her Masters at the University of Canterbury. She has a passion for learning new things.