Even though the winter weather may have tamed, it’s the perfect time now to ensure your home is dry, from the outside in. Check out our tips below to help you stay dry:
- Fix any broken or leaking pipes/taps. Leaky pipes, like downpipes, can cause water to pool around your home and potentially underfloor. Ensure your pipes and taps are all in working order and avoid any unwelcomed dampness in your home.
- Use a moisture or vapour barrier. This is a sheet of polythene that covers the dirt under your house, keeping dampness and any potential mould in the ground. CEA can install moisture barriers, contact us today to find out more.
- Clear any vents. Check outside for any underfloor vents and remove any pants or blockages. This will help ventilate the air under your floor – moving damp air out and dry, fresh air in.
- Clear and fix any gutters. Check to see if there are any leaves or blockages in your gutters to allow them to do their job and drain any rain water. If left blocked, gutters can overflow and cause pooling of water – leading to dampness and mould in and around the home.
- Careful placement of garden irrigation systems. When it comes time to water your garden, take care to not overwater your plants and check where the water run-off is going. For one, you’ll be saving on water consumption, and excess water could pool near or under the house.
CEA is here to help you and your family stay warm, dry, healthy, and more energy efficient in your home. Contact CEA on 0800 GET WARM, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or visit us at 299 Tuam Street and chat to one of our friendly staff today.