Community

How Social Media is Beneficial for the Elderly

With some elderly participating in the community less as they age due to reasons such as health and physical barriers social media sites such as Facebook, Twitter and Pinterest are becoming a key way to avoid social isolation and ensure they are connected to family and friends and are able …

Read More »

Retirement?!

Liam Butler interviews former Medical Professor Richard Donald  What have you done to liberate yourself in retirement?  Since my father first started the Aged People’s Welfare Council (now Age Concern) our family have not been shy about discussing the subject of aging. As there is a strong family history of …

Read More »

The Importance of Friends and Community as you get older.

Staying socially active and maintaining  relationships  help you to maintain a good physical and emotional state of health and cognitive function, try continue to maintain close friendships and find lots of ways to interact socially and study shows that you will live longer than those who become isolated. It is …

Read More »

Friendship and community

When I reflect on the year that was for Radius Care from the perspective of friendship and community, I think what really sums it up for me is one word – participation. Often in society the elderly watch from the sidelines – you see it all the time – …

Read More »

Festive Fun

Christmas is a time of year that can be very lonely for the elderly. Often there might be a token visit to older relatives before family rush off to spend time at the beach or doing their own thing. This sense of abandonment and isolation is one of the causes …

Read More »

Put your Feet Up and Enjoy a Fun Game

Are you enjoying the pre-Christmas preparations, or do you find it all too much?  Amongst the demands of special events, preparations, baking, gift purchasing, rich food and all the trappings of the season, it is important to your well-being that you can sit back, relax, and find enjoyment in a …

Read More »

Turkey Treats

On the first day of Christmas my truelove said to me, ” I’m glad we bought a big Turkey and a pretty Christmas tree.” On the second day of Christmas much laughter could be heard, As we tucked into our Turkey, a most delicious bird. On the third day we …

Read More »

Christmas Trees

As Christmas fast approaches I hope you have your Christmas tree decorated by now and all your Christmas shopping finished! Decorating the Christmas tree is one of my favourite parts of Christmas. It really makes it feel like Christmas is coming when you put the Christmas music, dig out the Christmas decorations …

Read More »