Community

Friendship and Community

Recently my Nana moved from a small community to the big smoke of Christchurch – well, the outskirts of Christchurch anyway. She grew up not too far from Southbridge, met my Grandad who lived in Southbridge, then went on to raise her 5 kids there. Southbridge holds a special place …

Read More »

Friends = Brain Health

We humans are highly social beings. We certainly don’t survive well, let alone thrive, when we are isolated and lonely. Friendships with other people stimulate our brains, and interacting with other people is one of the best kinds of brain exercise you can do!   Research suggests that visiting friends, …

Read More »

Ever Wondered Where Your Poppy Donation Goes?

Each year, New Zealander’s generously support the Returned and Services Association’s (RNZRSA) annual Poppy Appeal. In 2015, we received a record breaking $2.5 million dollars in donations from our collectors on the street, text and online donations and a variety of fundraising initiatives from our commercial partner and supporters – …

Read More »

How Social Media is Beneficial for the Elderly

With some elderly participating in the community less as they age due to reasons such as health and physical barriers social media sites such as Facebook, Twitter and Pinterest are becoming a key way to avoid social isolation and ensure they are connected to family and friends and are able …

Read More »

Retirement?!

Liam Butler interviews former Medical Professor Richard Donald  What have you done to liberate yourself in retirement?  Since my father first started the Aged People’s Welfare Council (now Age Concern) our family have not been shy about discussing the subject of aging. As there is a strong family history of …

Read More »

The Importance of Friends and Community as you get older.

Staying socially active and maintaining  relationships  help you to maintain a good physical and emotional state of health and cognitive function, try continue to maintain close friendships and find lots of ways to interact socially and study shows that you will live longer than those who become isolated. It is …

Read More »