Home / Community (page 15)

Community

Race Day Memories

“The Races” have always been a part of kiwi culture – but for me growing up they simply weren’t. I used to wonder what all the fuss was about and never quite ‘got it’. My mother’s family were quite religious and I think it was something about the perceived ‘ungodliness’ …

Read More »

Elderly in Prison

Liam Butler interviews Kim Workman QSO Founder Rethinking Crime and Punishment  What strategies does Rethinking Crime and Punishment believe we should consider regarding the use of prison and alternative forms of punishment in New Zealand for the 13 % of inmates who are 50 years old or over? Kim Workman:  …

Read More »

Is it time to try and stop some crime?

Liam Butler interviews Crime stoppers Chairman John Perham Question One: John you are Founder and Chairman of Crime stoppers New Zealand and have been honoured for your contribution to public sector reform.  How can older people help stop crime in New Zealand? John Perham: Anyone, regardless of age, can provide information about …

Read More »

Pets!

Liam Butler interviews Ric Odom, Chief Executive Officer, Royal New Zealand SPCA  Ric, when older people get unwell how can they ensure their pets get adequate exercise? Ric Odom: If you’re having trouble meeting your pet’s exercise needs, we suggest you ask your family, friends and neighbours for support. You could …

Read More »

Everybody loves to save money!

Liam Butler interviews Carl Hansen Chief Executive of the Electricity Authority Carl, the Electricity Authority has found that people aged 60 years and over are the least likely to switch electricity providers.  How much money can older people save by switching and who can help them with this?  Carl Hansen: The …

Read More »