Caregivers need support too and can find it hard to ask for help. If you know of somebody that is a caregiver show them a little kindness and help them in a way that you know will assist them. Here are 10 ways that you can help a caregiver. I am sure you can think of many more ideas. Remember if you are arranging for the caregiver to be away from the person that they care for, also ensure you arrange for somebody else to care for the person they look after.
- Mow the lawns and do some gardening.
- Drop off a home cooked meal.
- Arrange some pampering for the caregiver.
- Run some errands for the caregiver.
- Spend time with the person requiring care so the caregiver can have some time to do something nice for themselves.
- Drop off a care package.
- Do some housework.
- Help them arrange some respite care so they can have a much deserved break.
- Do the grocery shopping.
- Take them out for coffee.
- Do their laundry.
- Keep in touch with them and be there for them.
Sometimes it can be hard for a caregiver to accept help so ensure you are not too vague with your offers of support and make it hard for them to say no in a kind and supportive way (nobody is going to turn down a meal if you turn up on their doorstep with it). Let me know in the comments below of some other ways you could support a caregiver.