- Is the unit the right size and layout for you, taking into account any existing furniture that you may
- wish to bring with you?
- If there are call bells in the unit, are they in a useful place? Who monitors them? Are you charged for
- ringing the bell?
- Do you understand the emergency evacuation procedures for your unit?
- Is there plenty of storage (internally and externally)?
- Do you need a garage or carport? How accessible is it?
- Do you or will you use a mobility scooter? If so where can this be kept?
- Can you modify the unit in any way?
- Is there a garden? Can you grow what you want to? Who will maintain it?
- Is the unit and village set up to cater for those with a disability or for those who need support? (Think
- about future-proofing.)
- Is it clear who is responsible for maintaining the outside of your home?
- Can you accommodate guests to stay overnight in your own unit, or elsewhere in the village?
Go back to Retirement Villages section
Download a full & printable version of the checklist