Residents should be encouraged to retain their individuality and make their own decisions.
- Who controls your personal finances?
- How well is resident privacy managed?
- Do staff knock and wait for an invitation before entering residents’ rooms?
- How well are individual preferences catered for, e.g. are bedtimes flexible?
- Do you choose what to wear for the day?
- Do staff make sure that the things are important to you are maintained e.g. applying makeup for some women, shaving for men etc.?
- How often can you shower?
- Can you have your own telephone/TV in your room?
- Do residents have a collective voice, i.e. is there a residents’ committee?
- How are residents’ ethnic, cultural and spiritual values and beliefs respected and upheld?
Go back to Residential Care section
Download a full & printable version of the checklist