The facility should have systems and procedures in place to ensure resident safety.
- Is the nurse-call button within easy reach? Is it answered promptly?
- Are the building/s and grounds secured at night?
- How often are fire and emergency drills held?
- Do staff have residents’ emergency next of kin contact details? Where are these kept and can they be
- accessed if the building is evacuated?
- If a resident has an accident, how is this managed?
- What does the facility do to ensure safe medicine management?
- What are staffing levels like at night or over the weekend?
- Who fills in for staff when they are absent?
- What is the staff training schedule? Is a quality programme used?
- What system do staff have for updating each other between shifts?
Go back to Residential Care section
Download a full & printable version of the checklist