Tap to view all photos 1/3
The team at Millvale House Waikanae have recently achieved four years audit certification. This is the highest achievable result from a certification audit.
Millvale House is set in beautiful surroundings with easy access to the gardens. Surrounded by mature trees, there are sunny spots to sit, pathways to follow and birds to watch. The bedrooms are single and spacious. We encourage people to bring a few familiar things from home. The lounge and dining areas are spacious. The dining area has round dining tables to encourage the sense of a family meal enjoyed together.
At Millvale House we create a warm and homely atmosphere where each person is supported to experience each moment richly.
We strive to promote our vision by promoting:
The uniqueness of each person,
The immense value of each person,
and by working with openness,
honesty and integrity.
In these ways, we enrich each person, the community and the world.
Dementia Care New Zealand is one of New Zealand’s highly regarded aged care providers.
We provide a full range of residential care including general rest home care, dementia rest home care, general hospital level care, and dementia hospital level care. At many of our facilities, a full continuum of care is available.
We specialize in person-centred care for people who live with dementia. This is the work we have passionately chosen to do.
We care for people in small, cosy homes with a loving, warm and homely atmosphere where each person is supported to experience each moment richly. Our small homes concept means that people with dementia experience life in a less clinical and more normalised, familiar way. Small homes that inter connect, also bring a sense of ‘community’ for a person with dementia.
1. Connecting with each person we care for as we would a very best friend means that people feel loved and important. A best friend accepts you as you are, believes in you, forgives your mistakes, really listens to you, jokes with you and loves to hear you laugh.
2. Families/whanau become part of the community we have. They are involved in their loved one’s care. They are encouraged to share their in-depth and intimate knowledge of their loved one. There is much honesty and openness. This builds trusting relationships between us all. We know family, and family know us.
3. A home that provides people with stability. Things seem familiar – a private bedroom with things in it from home, sunny spots to sit in, a garden.
4. Each staff person is someone with ability and with a potential for growth. There is much opportunity for every staff member. Each staff member can have a positive impact on residents, their family and their team.
5. Ensuring that people can continue with their old roles, if they wish, like collecting the mail, folding the washing, sweeping the floor means that they have a purpose in life. They can be involved in the running of their home.
6. As we work in these ways, people are more contented and participate in life more fully. They have their greatest chance at being physically healthy and emotionally the best they can be.
At Millvale we offer specialist dementia hospital care for a total of 30 residents.
Care is offered in two small, cosy homes, one of which has recently been renovated and upgraded.